Mississippi State had its final big tuneup today, two days before Saturday’s Maroon-White spring game. The Bulldogs will do some helmets-only work tomorrow.
We didn’t get Dan Mullen after practice, but I did catch up with defensive tackle P.J. Jones (video above) and defensive line coach David Turner (video below).
“Everybody’s excited about the game,” Jones said. “We’re going to go out, have fun. We ain’t gonna show too much. We’re going to have fun and just and put on a show for the fans.”
Otherwise, just a few quick observations from the scrimmage portion as I try to simultaneously cover a baseball game.
• Tailback LaDarius Perkins, who was out all last week, participated in some position drills today, but that was all. Linebacker Matt Wells, who was out Tuesday, was back at full speed. Guys who remained out: linebacker Zach Jackson, receiver Ricco Sanders and linebacker Deontae Skinner.
• Tyler Russell had a pretty touchdown pass to Jameon Lewis of about 25 yards. Lewis also ripped off a long gain on a reverse. Late in practice, Russell threw a deep ball that Lewis appeared to catch near the goal line, but Kendrick Market broke it up.
• Redshirt freshman Brandon Holloway continued to work at tailback, and he had a TD run of about 20 yards, bouncing it outside and using that speed of his to reach the end zone.
• A sign that coaches have continued to mix and match personnel: Defensive tackle Curtis Virges worked some with the threes.
• Juco transfer receiver Jeremey Chappelle has progressed nicely this spring, and he made a nice shoe-top catch on the run near the sideline.