STARKVILLE | Preseason camp got under way for MSU today, with several dozen fans braving the 90-degree temps to watch old and new Bulldogs alike.
Players were in helmets and shorts today – no pads – and you couple that with it being the first day of practice, and it’s hard to draw a wealth of knowledge from what happened. But I have some quick observations for you, and I’ll have videos in a bit.
• The defensive backs looked strong today. Cornerback Jamerson Love had a tip-drill interception during passing drills. Juco transfer Justin Cox, a corner, had a leaping pass break-up during skeleton drills and later picked off Dak Prescott in 11-on-11 drills and took it a short distance to the end zone. Safety Dee Arrington also intercepted Prescott.
• There was the expected sloppiness today, especially with the receivers. Lots of dropped balls. Juco transfer Jeremey Chappelle had butterfingers, twice dropping perfect throws during skeleton work. On the plus side, freshman receiver Fred Ross had a promising first practice.
• Prescott did make some good throws. During passing drills he laid one perfectly into the hands of freshman Gabe Myles. Tyler Russell made several good throws, threading a needle to Joe Morrow on one play, and later making a deft adjustment on a throw that freshman De’Runnya Wilson dropped.
• There were lots of new guys, and while I didn’t study all of them closely, some of them caught my eye, like Ross. Tailback Ashton Shumpert showed a good burst. Defensive end Chris Jones … well, he’s a big dude. With no pads, it was hard to make too much of line play.
• Right tackle Damien Robinson was spotted riding the stationary bike in the pit. He’s the only player I saw in there today.