MSU’s game notes for the Oklahoma State game arrived in my inbox Saturday, and it included an updated depth chart. Now, Dan Mullen will always try to de-emphasize the depth chart. He said the other day, “I know people love depth charts, but to me it’s who’s playing and not playing. Who are the 30 guys who are going to play on offense; who are the 30 guys who are going to play on defense. That is starting to get more and more settled for me.”
But, like he said, people love depth charts. So let’s take a look at some highlights of MSU’s newest one.
• Nothing too surprising as far as the starters are concerned. Notable is that sophomore Taveze Calhoun gets the nod at cornerback over juco transfer Justin Cox. Of course, Cox will see plenty of field time, especially against Oklahoma State, which loves to throw the ball.
• The depth chart gets interesting with the second-stringers. Like at wide receiver, De’Runnya Wilson is listed as Joe Morrow‘s backup. If you’d asked me which freshman receiver was more likely to be on the two-deep, I’d have picked Fred Ross, but he has been banged up a bit in camp.
• We’ve heard good things this preseason about defensive tackle Nelson Adams, and the redshirt freshman is listed as the backup to P.J. Jones. Another redshirt freshman, Jordan Washington, is the other No. 2 defensive tackle. This will, of course, lead to more questions about Quay Evans and Nick James. Trust me, those guys will play, but I’ve gathered that both still have some maturing to do.
• We’ve all expected to see freshman Chris Jones see the field this year, and the five-star defensive end is listed as the backup to senior Denico Autry. It’ll be interesting to see in what kind of situations coaches will feel comfortable inserting Jones.
• Beniquez Brown, a redshirt freshman, is the backup strongside linebacker behind Deontae Skinner. Some of you might wonder about another redshirt frosh, Richie Brown, but he’s at middle linebacker behind a pair of veterans.
• We’ve heard different names tossed about as the new lead punt returner, mainly LaDarius Perkins and Nickoe Whitley. But Jameon Lewis, the junior slot receiver, is listed there. He and Perkins are listed as the kickoff returners.
Click below to view the depth chart.